WhatsApp now allows the locking chats and hiding of individual chats.: WhatsApp has recently introduced a new feature that enables its users to lock individual chats with a password or biometric authentication.
This feature will allow WhatsApp users to enhance the security of their messages and protect their privacy, especially if they have any confidential or personal conversations that they don’t want anyone else to access.
The new ‘Chat Lock’ on WhatsApp feature allows users to move a conversation into a separate folder that can only be accessed using their device’s password or biometric authentication, such as a fingerprint.
When a chat is locked, the feature automatically hides the contents of the conversation in notifications.
Let’s take a look at how to use the new Chat Lock privacy feature by WhatsApp.
Turn on chat lock: WhatsApp now allows the locking chats
You can turn chat lock off or on within the chat’s info for each chat you want to lock. If you don’t have your device authentication set up yet, such as your phone passcode, fingerprint or Face ID, you’ll be prompted to set it up before locking a chat.
How to turn on chat lock:
- Tap chat info > Chat lock.
- Tap Lock this chat with fingerprint or Lock This Chat with Face ID.
- Tap View to see the chat in the Locked chats folder.
How to view your locked chats
You can view your locked chats in the Locked Chats folder.
How to view your locked chats:
- Go to the Chats tab and swipe down.
- Tap the Locked chats folder.
- Confirm your Face ID or touch the fingerprint sensor to unlock.
- Tap the chat to view or send a message.
How do I turn off chat lock on WhatsApp?
You can turn off chat lock in the chat’s info.
How to turn off chat lock:
- Tap chat info > Chat lock.
- Toggle off and confirm your fingerprint or Face ID.
How to use Chat Lock on WhatsApp
– Download or update WhatsApp: Ensure that you have the latest version of WhatsApp on your Android or iOS device. You can download the app from the respective app stores.
– Go to the chat you want to lock: Open WhatsApp and navigate to the specific chat that you want to lock.
– Tap on the contact or group profile picture: Once you are in the chat, click on the profile picture of the contact or group to access more options.
– Select “Chat Lock”: Scroll down the menu until you see a new option called “Chat Lock,” which is located right below the disappearing message menu. Tap on it to proceed.
– Enable Chat Lock and authenticate: Once you tap on “Chat Lock,” you will be prompted to enable it. After enabling it, you will be required to authenticate using your phone password or biometrics (if available).
To access locked chats on WhatsApp
– Open WhatsApp and go to your home page: Once you open WhatsApp, you will see the home page that displays all your chats.
– Swipe down to access all locked chats: Swipe down on the screen to access all the locked chats. You will see all the chats that you have locked on WhatsApp.
– Tap on the locked chat you want to access: Select the chat that you want to access by tapping on it.
– Authenticate to unlock the chat: You will be required to authenticate using your phone password or biometrics (if available) to unlock the chat.
Notably, once you enable Chat Lock, all the messages in the chat will be hidden until you unlock it. You can also enable Chat Lock for multiple chats on WhatsApp by following the same steps for each chat individually.
Additionally, WhatsApp has announced that it will be adding more options for Chat Lock in the future, such as locking for companion devices and creating a custom password for chats.
How do I secure a chat on WhatsApp?
You can better secure your WhatsApp account by following these tips:
- Never share your registration code or two-step verification PIN with others.
- Enable two-step verification and provide an email address in case you forget your PIN.
- Set a device code.
- Be aware of who has physical access to your phone.