Nagelsmann reacts following his withdrawal from the race to manage Chelsea: The former Bayern Munich coach is the second high-profile boss to have dropped out of contention this week after ex-Barcelona boss Luis Enrique.
First it was Luis Enrique and now it’s Julian Nagelsmann. Two days after British newspaper The Telegraph revealed that the Spaniard was no longer in contention to become the new manager of Premier League club Chelsea, Italian journalist Fabrizio Romano has reported that “the German coach is said to be no longer available after multiple round[s] of talks”. Luis Enrique and Nagelsmann had been considered by many as two of the favourites to replace Graham Potter at Stamford Bridge.
Nagelsmann reacts following his withdrawal from the race
The former Bayern boss had been among the top candidates to fill the void left by Graham Potter’s dismissal before his withdrawal from proceedings on Friday – a decision that left Chelsea surprised.
While Chelsea had long insisted that there was no leading candidate in their lengthy search for a new manager, sources saw Nagelsmann as the favorite to take the role and Luis Enrique is understood to have seen the German as Chelsea’s top priority.
Asked about his decision by Sky Germany, Nagelsmann did not deny pulling out of talks but sought to clarify the terminology used.
“To cancel something, you have to commit to something,” Nagelsmann said.
Why have Luis Enrique and Julian Nagelsmann withdrawn
Nagelsmann was never the preferred candidate, simply one of multiple strong contenders. Sources say he wanted a coronation not a process with mixed (and even negative) reports during due diligence.
Those close to Nagelsmann suggest he had a different vision and questions over structure. What is apparent the process to date has been as much about Chelsea interviewing candidates as candidates interviewing Chelsea. Football pedigree and wider fit are both equally important.
Who will be Chelsea’s next manager?
Both Enrique and Nagelsmann were viewed as the early favorites for the role, but with neither under consideration at this point, Chelsea’s attention has turned elsewhere.
Burnley’s Vincent Kompany is of interest but Chelsea is known to be a huge fan of Mauricio Pochettino, who was first contacted after Thomas Tuchel left Stamford Bridge earlier this season and was spoken to yet again midway through the campaign.
Wilsontrendit understands that Pochettino is now interested in taking over at Chelsea and several rounds of talks have been held with the former Tottenham and Paris Saint-Germain boss, but the Argentine is also open to a return to Spurs as the replacement for Antonio Conte.