There are a few simple ways to find out someone’s birthday without having to ask them directly, whether you missed someone’s birthday or just want to surprise a new friend by wishing them well on their special day. Be aware of websites that promise to be able to find out someone’s birthday for you; they typically charge a fee and aren’t always accurate. It’s far easier to do some research on social media, question other individuals who might know, or talk to the individual about a topic that can entice them to announce their birthday on their own.
Method one: Using Social Media
- To learn more about your someone, go to their Facebook profile. Looking someone up on Facebook is a simple method to find out their birthday. Log in and input their name into the search bar at the top of the screen if you have an account. You should notice their date of birth in the data box below their profile photo once you arrive to their profile. Whether their birthday isn’t displayed in their infobox, check their timeline to see if any of their other friends wished them a happy birthday the year before. Simply scroll down the page until you find a collection of birthday posts that were all published on the same day.
- Follow the individual on Instagram and look for postings about their birthday. You might be able to figure out when someone’s birthday is if you search through their Instagram images. Review their posts from the previous year on their profile page, or on the profile page of one of their close friends. People frequently upload images of themselves on their birthdays, so there’s a strong chance you’ll find anything. If you’re still having trouble finding the person you’re looking for, go through the postings of common friends to see if there are any photos of them with the person you’re looking for.
- Check their Twitter profile page or look for balloons on their tweets. Twitter, like other social media platforms, enables users to include their birthdate in their profile information. The person’s birthdate will display in the upper left-hand corner of their page if they have submitted it. When their birthday approaches, all posts they publish on that day will have a neon balloon overlay attached to them. Note that: Because entering your date of birth on your profile page is optional, you’ll have no choice but to figure it out some other way if the individual didn’t.
Method two: Asking Around
- Consult your mutual Friends. If you have any mutual friends or acquaintances, ask them if they know when the other person’s birthday is. Even if they can’t tell you right away, they may offer to look into it for you, saving you the trouble of having to question the individual yourself. Say something like, “I believe Richard’s birthday is approaching shortly.” Do you have any idea what day it is?”
- Get help from the person’s family if you know them well enough. If the person is a close friend, contact a family member. It’s as easy as stating, “I’m at a loss for words.” “Can you tell me when John’s birthday is?” They’ll almost certainly be delighted to refresh your recollection. Note: You should only contact someone’s family members if you know them directly and have already communicated with them. Otherwise, your seemingly innocuous request might be seen as a breach of privacy.
Method Three: Finding out from the Person Themselves
- Take the direct approach by asking the person upfront. If you’ve only recently met the individual, there’s no harm in merely inquiring about their birthday. “Can you tell me when your birthday is?” “What do you typically do for it?” is a simple method to gather the information you need while also initiating a warm personal chat. They’ll most likely feel flattered that you asked!, If you’re talking to an old or close acquaintance, it’s unlikely that they’ll mind if you acknowledge that you forgot their birthday. “You have a birthday coming up soon, don’t you?” just inquire casually. What time is it going to happen again?”
- Gather clues by having the person share memories about their birthday. Ask the individual about the finest birthday they’ve ever had, or ask them to describe their perfect birthday to you for a more subtle alternative. Examine their responses to see if you can pick up on significant details such as the season or other events that occurred at the time. If you’re still having problems gaining a precise date from them, switch up your asking strategy and urge them for more information. “That sounds fun,” you would respond if they mention going ice skating, for example. So your birthday falls during the colder months?”
- Encourage them to talk about their birthdays by bringing up yours. Make a casual comment about your birthday and see whether the other person responds with something about their own. “I adore having a February birthday,” for example. It gives me something to look forward to when it’s cold and dismal outside” might be used as a hook to get them to talk about their birthday, or at the very least the month or year. If your birthday is approaching, you might also remark something along the lines of, “Only one month till my birthday!” and see if they mention their own.
- If you’re knowledgeable with astrology, inquire about the person’s zodiac sign. Knowing someone’s astrological sign might help you go a lot closer to figuring out when they were born. Get the person to tell you their zodiac sign and use that information to calculate a range of probable birthdays. This will at the very least get you started and help you narrow down your search. When the person states their zodiac sign, ask a casual follow-up inquiry such, “Oh, you’re a Pisces.” “Does that indicate you were born in September?” They’ll probably give you the specific date if you ask nicely. If the individual doesn’t know their zodiac sign, move backwards to get the information you need—ask them when they were born, then go through the astrological importance of the day and time. They’ll never know you were attempting to figure out their birthday.